For a truly unique opportunity for your students, consider a visit to Massey Shaw and experience a day-in-the-life of a 1930's firefighter on the River Thames.
Hear the stories of firefighting in the Blitz and how young people took part in providing communications between fire stations throughout the city.
Learning sessions - Key Stage 2
Please see an overview of the key areas our learning sessions cover. We have a range of resources which teachers/facilitators can use in the classroom and on board.
- History - London in the Blitz, firefighting through the years, the Homefront, local links with your area of London.
- English/Literature - Poetry, newspaper reports, diary entries.
- Compare and contrast - wartime firefighting and todays London Fire Brigade
- Science - Insulators, water safety, engineering, pumps and suction, water pressure, water technology.
- Geography - Impact of war on local areas, road names etc.
- Information Communication Technology (ICT) - Communication, semaphore, Morse code.
- Art - Photography and artwork from the period.